Monday, February 9, 2009

The Power of Dr. Seuss

As most of you know I love Dr. Seuss just as much as I love nursery rhymes if not more. Recently my Aunt Jackie gave me the Dr. Seuss book Oh Baby The Places You'll Go!. In the book Dr. Seuss discusses the research behind why he wrote this book. Studies have shown that when reading to babies in the womb they have been shown to settle down tremendusly by the end of the reading. I have tested this theory on Michael Britton. He is most active at night. On the nights he just won't settle down I read him that book and gradually throughout the story his movements slow down and by the time I am finished reading he is asleep! That means I get to sleep!!!! It has to do with the sing-songyness (I made that word up.) of the rhymes that it lulls them. I am definitely going to read a story at bedtime when he is born. I had already planned on doing that because that is what my parents did with me, but this research confirms my belief in a bedtime ritual and story. Just thought I'd share. This is the perfect gift to give when you find out someone is preggers!!!!

0 comments: